The Provincial Council of Bizkaia strives to be an interna- tional benchmark in the field of social innovation, and to tackle social challenges in its territory on the basis of collaboration between various actors. The aim is to build up an ecosystem for promoting social innovation in Bizkaia that enables:
- strategies to be adopted to tackle medium and long-term needs;
- a fair model of society to be preserved now and in the future; and
- the engagement of civil society and public responsibility to be strengthened and consolidated.
This determination is reflected in one of the actions undertaken as part of the Bizkaia Goazen 2030 strategy: “Making Bizkaia a benchmark for social innovation”.
Thus, through its Departments of Eco-nomic and Territorial Development and Social Action, the Provincial Council of Bizkaia undertakes to promote new busi- nesses, especially those of a social, inno-vative nature, as key instruments for en-suring the creation of wealth, jobs and social cohesion in Bizkaia. The idea is to foster opportunities provi- ded by innovative social organisations and businesses as a major part of the solu-tion to social and economic challenges, in line with the Europe 2020 Strategy. Seeking to promote the development of a highly competitive social market eco-nomy, the Provincial Council of Bizkaia factors social innovation into its initiatives to support the setting up of new businesses. Those initiatives are inten-ded to:
- respond innovatively to social needs that are currently not being met;
- seek social impacts to reinforce the cohesion of society; and
- propose efficient, competitive, sustai- nable long-term answers..
These actions in support of innovative social organisations and businesses are reinforced by the operations of the publicly-owned companies Beaz S.A.U, Seed Capital de Bizkaia, S.A and Seed Capital Bizkaia Mikro S.A., as set out in the chart below: